Does AAI have a uniform dress code? What is the dress code?
- We will not have uniform requirements at AAI. We ask that our students will dress respectfully and appropriately for the activities of the day. See specifics regarding the policy on our policy page.
Does AAI offer Special Education services?
- We will provide Special Education services based on the needs of the students registered. During our first year, we will contract Special Education to ensure our students’ needs are met.
Does AAI provide Advanced Placement (AP) or concurrent enrollment classes?
- We do not see offering AP classes in the coming year, but do expect our students will be able to be successful with certain AP exams (the passing of which is required for credit, even with AP classes). We seek to offer as many advanced, engaging and unique course offerings as possible. We have hired teachers that have taught both AP and concurrent enrollment and are currently negotiating with Salt Lake Community College to offer a variety of concurrent enrollment courses.
Are AAI teachers trained and experienced in the Experiential Learning Model?
- Several of our teachers have significant training and experience with experiential learning and project based learning. However, we have also planned additional training for all AAI teachers.
What type of daily schedule will AAI implement?
- For grades 7th – 12th AAI will leverage an A/B schedule with four periods a day. For details regarding scheduling please refer to the current school schedule found here: https://aaiutah.org/schedules/
Does AAI offer language classes? Which languages?
- We offer French and Spanish.
Does AAI offer art classes?
- We offer fine art classes in a variety of mediums and seek to integrate art cross subject.
Does AAI have a music program?
- We do offer a music program although this will be the first year of the program, so the direction and scope of the program is under development.
Does AAI have a theater/drama program?
- We do not intend to offer a specific theater program. However, we do offer a theater club for those interested in engaging in drama. We also encourage participation in Kensington Theatre. This theatre is designed for students interested in an amazing community theater experience http://www.southjordantheatre.com/
What is AAI’s teacher to student ratio?
- We will have a 25:1 student/teacher ratio in all classes with some notable exceptions like PE and choir.
Does AAI have any kind of lunch program? Warm/hot?
- The student store, run by students of our CTE programs, will offer a variety of food items for purchase during the lunch hour. High School students will also be allowed to leave campus during lunch.
Will AAI have athletic/sports teams? Will the sports teams be competitive?
- This continues to be reviewed with an intent of engaging in charter league competitions, but nothing has been set to date
Does AAI have clubs and other student activities including dances?
- Clubs at AAI are student-driven, which means any student can engage with other students and a mentor teacher to form a club. Clubs have included gaming, technology, community service and social activities. For social events, including dances, we plan events and coordinate with other schools in the area where possible.
Does AAI have a Driver’s Education program?
- We work with independent service providers to offer program options to our high school students.
Once a student is accepted and registered as an AAI student, will the student be able to continue on without re-applying to a lottery the next year?
- Yes, students will retain their place at AAI unless they choose to not return in future years.
Will AAI students be allowed to carry their backpacks around the school with them?
- Yes, however, we will also provide lockers.
What is AAI’s mascot?
- Students voted and decided on the Titans for AAI’s mascot.
Will AAI students have lockers?
- Yes lockers will be provided for our students
Will P.E. be dress down at AAI?
- Yes, we will encourage students to have gym clothes for hygienic purposes. Showers will not be available in the locker rooms.
Will AAI have locker rooms for both boys and girls P.E.?
- Yes, there are separate areas specific for boys and girls P.E. dressing rooms next to the gym.
Will AAI have immunization requirements for each student?
- AAI will follow Utah State law which includes the collection of immunization records. Families/students that choose to be excluded from immunizations must provide the appropriate exemption (consistent with all Utah public schools).
Does AAI offer a “sibling priority”?
- Yes, AAI will follow the Utah Charter requirements for enrollment. This includes priority to students of founding families, students of teachers as well as siblings of current AAI students. These priorities will be given prior to lottery enrollment.
Will there be a bus option for AAI students?
- Although we cannot provide bus options, we are conveniently located right next to the South Jordan Parkway Trax station. Often families are also able to arrange carpools.
How will incoming AAI students’ grades get transferred from their previous school?
- Upon completion of the registration packets, our AAI Office Staff will work to coordinate with the sending school to obtain school records.